The Legend of Footprint Rock
Excerpts are taken from the publication "Through the Years at 4-H Camp Whitewood" written by John P. Parker, Professor Emeritus Ohio State University Extension.
Legends about the 4-H Camp Whitewood Footprint Rock are almost endless. The rock, now minus the footprints, has been a famous landmark in the Warner's Hollow and Camp Whitewood area for many years. What is the true story about Footprint Rock? Sometime in the late 1800's, a young couple from Orwell, Mr. and Mrs. Will Goddard, were picnicking at Warner's Hollow. Mr. Goddard had his wife stand barefoot on a wet cloth, then on the rock. He drew around the wet prints with a pencil and then, with a small mallet and chisel, made the realistic footprints. Residents in the Orwell and Windsor areas in the 1800's generally were aware of the origin of the footprints.
Footprint Rock, back in the 1800's, was as high as the adjoining bank and historical records indicate that a rustic bridge extended from the bank to the rock. Operators of stone quarries near Windsor Mills quarried off the top of the rock to its present level. In those days more than 100 years ago, the rock was called "Little Mountain." Later it was named "Table Rock" and is now known as "Footprint Rock."
About 1950, someone decided they wanted the footprints from the rock. They were chiseled out of the rock and stolen. Because of their historical importance, a reward was offered for their return by Mr. Tom White. As a result, the individual who took the footprints returned them, the reward was donated to the camp, and the footprints are now located in the Grindstone Creek Lodge and Conference Center.