Excerpts are taken from the publication "Through the Years at 4-H Camp Whitewood" written by John P. Parker, Professor Emeritus Ohio State University Extension.
The Search for a Campsite
Interest in 4-H camping started to develop in the late 1920's and early 1930's. Many sites were used for camping but Extension Agents felt none of them were really satisfactory. In 1936, the idea of a four county 4-H camp was revived. Agents in Geauga, Lake, Trumbull and Ashtabula counties spent considerable time looking for a suitable campsite. Interestingly enough, most of this search was done in the fall during hunting season. Reports indicate that, in order not to arouse suspicion, the agents carried hunting equipment and, of course, did some rabbit hunting as they toured various areas.
In the early fall of 1939, Agents agreed to proceed with some sort of camp building plan. The warner's Hollow area seemed to be one of the best possibilities for investigation. Agents in the four counties met with Mr. Tom L. White to look at property in the Warner's Hollow area. They began their search on what is now known as the old picnic grounds. Mr. White suggested that the other side of the ravine, the site of what was considered an old Indian fortification, might also make a good campsite. He led the group down and old logging trail, across the creek and up the other side to the Indian fortification area (now known as the campfire circle). The area is a very beautiful one with the old Indian fort, Grindstone Creek, falls and woods. Agents were in unanimous agreement that this site would make a desirable camp area.